Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Holly

Later that afternoon. Back in Dave and Danielle's dome home. They and Holly are sitting around the kitchen table.

Holly: And you're sure it's OK if I stay over the weekend? I don't want to impose.


Dave: Are you kidding, this is great. We'll hang out, actually talk and get caught up instead of cuddling silently the whole time. Really get to know each other again.

Holly: Are you sure you want to hear my entire story? It isn't suddenly all sweetness and light after I offed my dad.

Dave: I want to hear everything. And I can tell you all my horror stories for comic relief.

Danielle: They mostly involve romantic train wrecks.

Holly: All right then. Let the floodgates open.

Dave: OK, but first, sustenance. We never did actually eat anything at the picnic.

Holly: It's OK, I'm not hungry.

Danielle: But you haven't eaten since you got here. Maybe a little snack?

Holly: No, really, thanks, but I'm not a big eater.

Dave: I'll say so. You're thin as a rail. I didn't want to say anything before, when we were cuddling, but I'm a little worried. You can't be 100 pounds soaking wet - and you're taller than me.

Holly: Look, guys, I really don't want to discuss it.

Danielle: But...

Holly: Seriously, back off.

Dave: OK, but Dani and I are going to eat; can you stand the peer pressure?

Holly: I'll be fine. Where's the bathroom?

Danielle: Second door on the right.

Holly excuses herself.

Danielle: Oh boy.


Dave: What?

Danielle: Anorexia. Bulimia. Very common in women who have been sexually abused. She's starving herself. I can see her ribs through her blouse.

Dave: You're sure?

Danielle: Well, I'm not a psychiatrist or anything. But the woman is gaunt. You described her as very athletic as a kid; Now I don't think she could do a cartwheel without passing out. As it is, I think she went to the bathroom to puke.

Dave: (stricken) Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit. I should have known all of that happy talk was just that. What do we do?

Danielle: I don't know. Look for a treatment facility, convince her to go? Get her to a meeting? We don't know her well enough long enough to carry off an intervention. We should call Liz later and ask her what she thinks.

(she thinks for a moment)

I don't think there's anything we can do right now, so we have to let it be.

Holly returns from the bathroom.

Holly: My ears are burning.


Dave: Well, who else are we going to talk about?

Holly: I don't know. Liz? I know she gave you a hard time, but what do you think? I told her I would marry her if she proposes, which she's still planning to do. Am I crazy?

Dave: I can't tell. I only saw her pissed off, jealous side. I'm sure there's more to her.

Holly: There sure is. She's brilliant, over-educated, opinionated, very sweet when she's not being all territorial. She sings and plays guitar. Really well. We met at a coffee house near the university. I took a Bachelor's in Biology and teach high school; she's working on her PhD in immunology.

Danielle: (whistles) Whoa. That's about as intense a discipline as there is. I am definitely experiencing new-found respect for the woman.

Holly: Yeah, she really is amazing. I'm sorry you only got to see one side of her.

Dave: Hey, you love her, that's good enough for me.

Dave and Danielle: (raising glasses)  To Liz!

Holly: To Liz!

No comments:

Post a Comment